Occ. Code 8346100
VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION COUNSELOR ASSISTANT, GRADE 13
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Assistant performs a variety of paraprofessional tasks to support professional Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors in assisting physically, mentally or emotionally disabled individuals to achieve productive roles in society. Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Assistants are classified only in the State Education Department at locations throughout the State.
VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION COUNSELOR ASSISTANT: paraprofessional; as a member of a rehabilitation counseling unit assists Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors in performing various routine vocational rehabilitation counseling functions
As a member of a rehabilitation counseling unit Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Assistant:
Coordinates and conducts consumer orientation sessions.
Prepares eligibility information for counselor review and approval.
Investigates consumer progress and keeps counselors informed of consumer status through written reports.
- Monitors consumer enrollment and attendance at rehabilitation facilities and training centers.
- Reviews records to verify that individuals are receiving authorized training services.
- May make site visits to follow up on particular consumers at various stages of the rehabilitation process.
- May participate in case conferences with the counselor to provide input regarding observations on consumer's performance.
Authorizes necessary medical diagnostic examinations.
- Makes all arrangements for further interviews or appointments.
- Discusses all such arrangements with consumer to ensure their full understanding and cooperation.
Prepares and responds to routine correspondence with consumer and their families, vendors, other staff of the Department and other agencies concerning consumer's status and progress.
Prepares and transmits financial and statistical records.
- Reviews consumer eligibility for financial assistance.
- Obtains, confirms or clarifies information from the Department of Social Services and Workers Compensation Board.
Assists in the administration of college cases.
- Investigates student's eligibility for financial aid from Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), Basic Educational Opportunity Grants (BEOG), scholarships or other sources.
- Identifies consumers returning for the next semester or academic year.
May assist counselors in conducting job-seeking skills training seminars and workshops.
Under direction of a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor may initiate contacts with employers for the purpose of job placement.
Ensures that case closure actions are timely and appropriate and accurately entered into the computer system.
Either 1. a bachelor's degree in social work, psychology, counseling, or vocational rehabilitation; OR
2. a bachelor's degree and one year of qualifying experience; OR
3. 60 semester college credit hours and two years of qualifying experience; OR
4. four years of qualifying experience.
In order for experience to be considered qualifying, the primary responsibilities of a position must have involved professional or paraprofessional duties in one of the following areas:
Either A. providing direct services beyond routine personal care or supervision to physically, mentally, or learning disabled adults or adolescents in a rehabilitation program or facility; OR
B. providing vocational or educational services to adults or adolescents with physical, mental, or learning disabilities in the areas of assessment, counseling, job coaching, guidance, placement, or job development.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.