Occ. Code 8346400
ASSOCIATE VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION COUNSELOR, GRADE 25
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS
Associate Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors are responsible for overseeing all counseling services and supervise Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors who oversee counseling units. Incumbents coordinate the development and implementation of methods, procedures, and tools to improve the caseload management process and outcome for staff at the State Education Department, and the Office of Children and Family Services.
ASSOCIATE VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION COUNSELOR: second supervisory level; develops and coordinates program policies to ensure consistency with Federal and State guidelines; and supervises Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors and staff.
Coordinates and oversees vocational rehabilitation activities.
· Reviews and analyzes counseling operations, proposes solutions to address issues, conducts special studies, and recommends corrective action.
· Oversees and approves case service plans in accordance with policy and procedures.
· Advises case unit supervisors on policy questions and adherence to procedures.
· Performs the full range of supervisory duties such as performance evaluations, time and attendance, and hiring activities.
Ensures quality assurance standards are met.
· Reviews and analyzes program resources to provide quality vocational rehabilitation services under the direction of management.
· Reviews and analyzes reports for caseload quality and quantitative controls.
· Prepares reports to measure the effectiveness of current programs, the extent of unmet program needs, and proposals for program development.
Serves as a resource in consumer appeals and liaison with community organizations.
· Instructs Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors and management in the resolution of consumer appeals.
· Investigates and arbitrates major complaints concerning the provision of client services.
· Transmits consumer requests for administrative reviews and administrative hearings to the appropriate parties.
· Promotes and encourages public interest in vocational rehabilitation programs.
· Addresses community groups to interpret and explain vocational rehabilitation programs.
· Prepares budget requests involving case service expenditures, and those portions of personnel costs involving counseling staff and related expenses under the direction of management.
· Represents management at meetings, as well as in the community, including regional committees, conferences and other functions.
Promotion: one year of permanent service as a Senior Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.