Occ. Code 8618600
SUPERVISOR PUBLIC SAFETY PROGRAMS, GRADE 27
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS
Supervisors Public Safety Programs function as bureau chiefs for the operation within the Division of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) charged with managing police and peace officer certified training programs and various other programs developed to enhance the productivity and professionalism of public and private law enforcement and public safety personnel in New York. This operation currently is known as the Office of Public Safety (OPS).
Supervisors Public Safety Programs are distinguished by their performance of high-level administrative duties within the DCJS operation that is dedicated to administering programs increasing the professional capacity of law enforcement within New York State, and functioning as an authority in the administration of law enforcement training and related and associated programs for external agencies statewide. They work under the Director of the Office of Public Safety, and supervise professional supervisory staff.
Associate Training Technicians (Police) coordinate law enforcement training and training outreach efforts and supervise lower-level training and support staff within a defined operation or area of purview.
The Director Office of Public Safety, under the general direction of a Deputy Commissioner, provides management control and administrative oversight of OPS. This is a single-position class within DCJS.
· Advise and assist the Director Office of Public Safety in the management of OPS, within a defined area of purview and/or defined group of programs.
· Administer covered programs in accordance with all appropriate statutory, regulatory, and programmatic requirements.
· Devise and organize work plans for covered all organizational units.
· Evaluate proposed policies and management proposals and prepare written analysis and recommendations.
· Manage the operations of the covered units, including overall supervision of all staff; personnel activities; and staff development.
· Provide assistance, guidance, and direct supervision to the program managers in the daily operation of the covered program areas within OPS.
· Responsible for the management of administrative and statutorily mandated functions within OPS.
· Responsible for development and implementation of budgets for the covered program areas.
· Represent the Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner in a variety of meetings, conferences, panels and committees, as appropriate.
Open Competitive: Bachelors degree plus five years of progressively responsible experience in developing and administering Police Officer or Peace Officer training programs, at least two years of which must have been at the supervisory level. Additional experience may be substituted for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
Promotion: one year of permanent competitive service as an Associate Training Technician (Police) at DCJS.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent, and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.