Occ. Code 8722820
DEPUTY SUPERINTENDENT FOR ADMINISTRATIVE
SERVICES 2, M-2
deputy superintendent for administrative
services 3, m-3
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS SERIES
Positions in this title series are responsible for the general management of a correctional facility. Incumbents supervise employees responsible for fiscal matters, labor relations, personnel administration, and for the various facility support operations including: business office, commissary; warehousing and stores; food preparation and service; clothing and laundry services; physical plant maintenance and operations; grounds maintenance; transportation services; fire and safety programs; and farm management. Incumbents also monitor the operations of facility Health Units.
These positions are classified at the Department of Correctional Services (DOCS). Incumbents at DOCS assist in the total care and confinement of inmates sentenced to the custody of the Department. All incumbents perform various duties and functions in conjunction with the overall operation of a facility and/or location to which they are assigned.
DEPUTY SUPERINTENDENT FOR ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES 2: management position; responsible for all business administration, general management, and support services, and the direction and supervision of employees responsible for these assignment areas, at a facility with an inmate population of between 400 and 699.
DEPUTY SUPERINTENDENT FOR ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES 3: management position; responsible for all business administration, general management, and support services, and the direction and supervision of employees responsible for these assignment areas, at a facility with an inmate population of 700 or more. Positions at this level are also classified in all maximum/maximum security level correctional facilities and the Bedford Hills Correctional Facility.
Incumbents of positions of Deputy Superintendent for Security Services, Deputy Superintendent for Program Services, and Deputy Superintendent of Correctional Health Care Facility, also work under the direction of a Superintendent of Correctional Facility and are responsible for the security, programming, and health care functions at a correctional facility.
Provide fiscal oversight.
- Coordinate with DOCS Central Office, the Superintendent, other Deputy Superintendents, Institution Steward, and other such related personnel directly concerned with the facility budget, to produce budget requests and provide written and oral directions for the administration of the facility budget.
- Ensure facility payroll is appropriately prepared in a timely manner by resolving more difficult problems and by issuing written and oral directives.
Serve as member of the Executive Committee at a facility.
- Attend meetings with other Deputy Superintendents and management staff to discuss overall policies relating to the operation of a facility.
- Present recommendations to resolve problems in the area of administrative services.
- Evaluate present activities and operations at a facility in collaboration with other members of the Executive Committee.
- Implement directives of the Executive Committee concerning the administrative areas.
Assume management responsibility of an absent Superintendent.
- Discharge all normal functions of a Superintendent.
- Execute all department policy, rules, and regulations relating to all activities at a facility and provide necessary leadership.
- Serve as Officer-of-the-Day on assigned weekends, holidays, or other designated period, providing direction over and having complete responsibility for all of the activities within the facility.
- Remain on call to receive all emergency or extraordinary messages at any time of the day or night for the period when acting as designated Officer-of-the-Day.
May serve as a member of the Time Allowance (may also serve as chair), Training, Environmental Services, Inmate Classification, Internal Control, or any other committee as directed by the Superintendent.
- Provide contributing judgment to assist in the formulation of decisions in conjunction with other members serving on committees.
- Coordinate the implementation of decisions arrived at by such committees concerning administrative services.
Supervise subordinate staff.
- Provide supervision, guidance, and oversight to subordinate staff, and intervene and resolve problems as necessary.
- Determine and oversee staff assignments.
- Approve leave and track time and attendance.
- Review, monitor, and evaluate staff performance.
- Complete performance evaluations.
- Identify training needs and arrange for provision of training.
- Manage and direct program activities by setting priorities and deadlines.
Oversee personnel management.
- Collaborate with DOCS Central Office, the Superintendent, and other Deputy Superintendents to develop labor relations policies and procedures, issue written and oral directives to facility personnel, and meet with facility supervisors to discuss labor relations program and resolve problems.
- Conduct frequent meetings with unit heads or employees responsible for management functions to ensure coordination and cooperation among the units.
- Supervise employees responsible for all support services at the facility, including: business office, commissary, food service, clothing and laundry; plant and grounds maintenance; plant operations; fire safety; and farm management.
- Work with all areas of the facility to develop the capital project and capital equipment budget requests, as well as plans for minor rehabilitation projects, maintaining a thorough understanding of the needs of the facility.
- Monitor the facilitys plant maintenance activities, assuring that the facility is maintained in a safe manner and that responses to emergencies are well planned and completed in a timely manner.
- Monitor the operations of the facilitys Health Unit to assure the needs of the inmate population are met. Work closely with health professionals to assure compliance with Department policies.
- Prepare performance ratings and appraisals for employees responsible for the management functions of the facility.
Direct facility Labor Relations program.
- Meet with employee organization representatives to discuss labor relations matters.
- Review and make determinations on the most important and difficult labor relations matters, concerning such matters as grievances, disciplinary actions, and contract interpretations, and refer such matters where appropriate to the Superintendent and/or Central Office.
- Attend meetings and conferences with civilian and security personnel at the facility, union representatives, and with staff from the Departments Central Office.
Conduct Tier 3 Disciplinary Hearings in accordance with established guidelines.
Non-Competitive: Three years of experience in a position in the Department of Correctional Services, one year of said experience must have been in a staff administrative position allocated at Grade 21 or higher.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.