Occ. Code 8735200
CORRECTIONAL FACILITY OPERATIONS SPECIALIST, GRADE 23
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS
Positions in this title are responsible for developing and reviewing programs and policies in all areas of facility operations relating to safety and security. Incumbents of these positions evaluate and ensure compliance with Department policies, rules, and procedures as they relate to the security of the institution through visiting and inspecting facilities; reviewing staff assignments, security equipment, and contingency plans for emergencies and riots; and serving as liaison to Department heads.
All positions in this class are non-competitive and are classified at the Department of Corrections and Community Supervision (DOCCS).
CORRECTIONAL FACILITY OPERATIONS SPECIALIST: full performance level; develop and review programs and policies in all areas of facility operations relating to safety and security.
· Responsible for the continual inspection of all facilities.
· During unusual incidents/emergency situations, may act as a representative for the Deputy Commissioner for Correctional Facilities at the site.
· Responsible for the review of all proposed changes in the operation of correctional facilities that might affect security at the institution.
· Draft responses for the Commissioner, Deputy Commissioners and Assistant Commissioners relative to correspondence from inmates, public officials and the general public.
· Serve as a member of the Central Office Review Committee (CORC) relative to inmate grievances. Ensure that concerns affecting the operation of all facilities are met when addressing inmate grievance appeals to the CORC. Render decisions or makes recommendations on behalf of the Deputy Commissioner for Correctional Facilities.
· Assist in the implementation of program changes at correctional facilities.
· Develop new and update existing procedures for the safety and security of employees and inmates at all correctional facilities.
· Assist and advise the Office of Facilities Planning in the development and construction of new facilities and additions and renovations to existing facilities.
· Review staff assignments, security equipment, and contingency plans for emergencies and inmate disturbances.
· Assist in the development of standards for cell equipment, inmate personal property, and inmate housekeeping procedures.
· Review and provide input into manpower needs and critical manpower posts.
· In conjunction with the Training Academy, assist in developing in‑service training needs of custodial personnel at the facilities.
· Monitor reports of facility security overtime.
· Assist the Assistant Commissioners for Correctional Facilities and carry out duties as instructed in his/her absence.
Non-Competitive: either one year of permanent competitive service as a Correction Lieutenant or two years of permanent competitive service as a Correction Sergeant.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.