Occ. Code 1557000
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS SERIES
Scalers remove dangerous, loose, or potentially unstable material, or small sections of slope, from gorge walls to ensure the safety of park visitors and employees. Incumbents descend cliffs in park gorges using highly specialized equipment, including a fireman's pike pole, communication device and camera to remove loose rock and examine cliff walls for signs of fault problems and other dangerous situations.
These positions are classified only at the Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation.
SCALER: descends cliffs and gorges in Parks locations using highly specialized equipment; ensures that loose rocks and debris will not fall from cliff walls; uses cameras to produce a photographic chronology record.
Removes loose rock and examines cliff walls for signs of fault problems and other dangerous situations.
May serve as regional scaling coordinator, which includes the following:
· Evaluates Scalers using a Scaler Evaluation Report.
· Coordinates regional scaling activities.
· Assists in recruiting, interviewing, testing and hiring of scaling and rope handling personnel, where needed and as directed by regional management.
· Performs inspections of scaled area to ensure the safety and integrity of the location.
· Ensures that scalers and rope handlers follow all safety procedures.
· Trains scaling staff in proper procedures.
· Coordinates scaling equipment and inventories and purchase requests for the region.
Non-Competitive: Must be able to descend vertical surfaces while wearing a harness and carrying equipment; and have six months experience working at great heights.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent, and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum requirements for appointment or examination.