Occ. Code 7140100
WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR 1, GRADE 8
WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR 2, GRADE 10
WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR 3, GRADE 12
New York State Department of Civil Service
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF CLASS SERIES
Wastewater Treatment Plant Operators are responsible for the operation and maintenance of wastewater treatment plants of various types and capacities. These plants are located at State facilities that are not connected to municipal wastewater treatment plants.
All positions are classified in the non-competitive class. Most positions are located at the Department of Corrections and Community Supervision, with others in the Office of Mental Health, the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, and the State University of New York.
Wastewater Treatment Plant Operators at all levels perform similar duties. The positions serve as a wastewater treatment plant chief operator or assistant/shift operator, and may supervise subordinate staff in wastewater treatment plant operations and maintenance activities. The number and level of Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator is determined based upon design flow, type of treatment, assignment as chief operator or assistant/shift operator, operational requirements of the wastewater treatment plant, and level of certifications required (see current regulations for wastewater treatment plant scoring and grading at the Department of Environmental Conservation website).
WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR 1: chief operator, or assistant/shift operator in a plant managed by a Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator 2. Possession of a 1 or 1A wastewater treatment plant certification is required.
WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR 2: chief operator, or assistant/shift operator in a plant managed by a Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator 3. Possession of a 2 or 2A wastewater treatment plant certification is required.
WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR 3: chief operator under the direction of higher level staff. Possession of a 3 or 3A wastewater treatment plant certification is required.
Filter Plant Operators operate water supply and treatment facilities to purify water for consumption.
· Monitor control panels, gauges, and flow meters to determine the flow of wastewater through the plant.
· Remove influent from initial bar screens to accelerate flow into the plant.
· Take samples of raw, and/or semi-treated wastewater as required by regulating agencies.
· Perform standardized chemical tests, such as chlorine residual and dissolved oxygen.
· Adjust valves, gates, pumps, and other equipment to regulate flow of influent through the treatment process.
· Record samples taken, tests performed and results, and action taken to meet the requirements of the regulating agencies.
· Maintain inventory of equipment and requisition materials to ensure continuous plant operations.
· Perform a variety of maintenance tasks in a wastewater treatment plant and the surrounding areas of the plant, such as removing and cleaning bars and filters.
· May supervise wastewater treatment plant operators, and labor class or semi-skilled trades staff performing maintenance activities.
WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR 1, 2 AND 3
Non-Competitive: Certification from the Department of Environmental Conservation in the grade required for operation of the wastewater treatment plant to which assigned.
NOTE: Classification Standards illustrate the nature, extent, and scope of duties and responsibilities of the classes they describe. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by a class. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Classification Standard was written. Please contact the Division of Staffing Services for current information on minimum qualification requirements for appointment or examination.