Open to all qualified employees of the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.
Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator Trainee 1
- Written Test To Be Held
- October 29, 2016
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- September 14, 2016
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Open to Employees of||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee|
|00-347||Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator Trainee 1||Corrections and Community Supervision, Dept of||$39,713||Equated to G-13||$20|
|00-348||Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator Trainee 1 (Spanish Language)||Corrections and Community Supervision||$39,713||Equated to G-13|
An open-competitive examination is being held at the same time as this transition examination. Agencies have the option of making appointments from either list. If you meet the requirements for the open-competitive as well as the transition examination, you may wish to apply for both. The appropriate processing fee must be filed for each examination.
The eligible list resulting from this transition examination will be used to fill two-year traineeships leading to Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator, G-19 and Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator (Spanish Language), G-19.
An appointee's performance in the trainee position and in prescribed training and development programs will be observed and evaluated. The prescribed training and development program will include extensive on-the-job training and carefully designed and monitored work experience. An appointee not meeting required standards can be terminated at any time after the initial eight weeks and before completion of the traineeship. An appointee will be placed on leave from their permanent title and will revert to that title if they do not successfully complete the traineeship.
On or before October 29, 2016, you must be a qualified employee of the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision and have had three months of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service. In addition to the permanent service requirement, you must also have a bachelor���s degree with a major in community health and family studies, correctional studies, counseling, criminal justice, human services, psychology, public justice, social work, sociology, or vocational rehabilitation.
If you were permanently appointed to a qualifying title on or before July 29, 2016, and have served continuously in this title since that date, you are eligible to file for this examination.
Qualifying Experience For Appointment from the Eligible List
After one year of the service described in the Minimum Qualifications, successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list.
ADVANCED PLACEMENT: If appointed from Trainee eligible lists for Nos. 00-347 and 00-348, you will enter a two-year traineeship leading to the Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator, G-19. However, if beyond meeting the minimum qualifications, you have at least one year of providing individual and/or group counseling in a recognized correctional, criminal justice, or community/human services program aimed at assisting clients with the resolution of major social, behavioral, and personal problems or a master���s degree with a major in community health and family studies, correctional studies, counseling, criminal justice, human services, psychology, public justice, social work, sociology, or vocational rehabilitation, you may be appointed to the Trainee 2 level, reducing the traineeship time by one year. Experience must have included responsibility for conducting counseling sessions designed to provide the participant(s) with counseling for significant social and personal problems such as alcohol and drug abuse, mental, behavioral, and emotional problems. You must inform the agency of this experience or possession of an appropriate master���s degree at this time of interview.
- Your degree must have been awarded by a regionally accredited college or university or one recognized by the NYS Education Department as following acceptable educational practices. If your degree was awarded by an educational institution outside the United States and its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. You can write to the Examination Information Desk of the NYS Department of Civil Service for a list of acceptable companies who provide this service. You must pay the required evaluation fee. If you are applying on the Internet, you must mail the independent verification of equivalency to the NYS Department of Civil Service, Albany, New York 12239. Attention: S2CMH.
- If you expect to meet the educational requirements by December 31, 2016, you can be admitted to the written test, but you cannot be considered for appointment until you submit proof of successful completion of the educational requirements to the Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.
- This examination has special minimum qualifications in addition to the usual "time in service requirement." If you are filing on the Internet, please list all pertinent information online. If you are applying on NYS-APP application form, you must list all pertinent information on the application. Attach additional sheets if needed.
- Verify that you have applied for the correct examination before submitting your online application. You will not be allowed to apply for additional examinations in this series after September 14, 2016.
- If you submit an application for No. 00-348 Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator Trainee 1 (Spanish Language), an application will automatically be submitted for you for No. 00-347 Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator Trainee 1, at no additional cost.
- Language Proficiency: If you pass the examination for No. 00-348 Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator Trainee 1 (Spanish Language), you will be required to demonstrate your Spanish language proficiency at a level that will ensure your ability to perform properly the duties of the position. Only enough candidates to fill current vacancies will be called to the proficiency test.
- Department of Corrections and Community Supervision employees may file for as many examinations for which they are qualified, including open-competitive and transition examinations. The following open-competitive and transition examinations are being held at the same time in addition to those noted on the announcement: NOTE: FEES ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS. OC EXAMINATIONS: 26-151 Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator, 26-154 Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator (ASAT), 26-216 Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator (ASAT) (Spanish Language), 26-149 Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator (Manual Communications), 26-152 Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator (Spanish Language), 26-148 Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator Trainee 1, 26-153 Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator Trainee 1 (Manual Communications), 26-150 Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator Trainee 1 (Spanish Language) or Transition Examinations: 00-349 Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator (ASAT), 00-350 Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator (ASAT) (Spanish Language).
- If you expect to meet the educational requirements by December 31, 2016, you can be admitted to the written test but you cannot be considered for appointment until you submit proof of successful completion of the educational requirements to the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.
Important: As the processing fee is non-refundable, verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.
Subject of Examination
There will be a written test which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. The written test is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
- Preparing written material - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
- Principles and practices of correction counseling - These questions test for the ability to counsel inmates in a variety of correctional settings. Questions may cover such areas as conducting interviews, managing cases, identifying and resolving problems, establishing goals and objectives, interpreting behavior, conducting individual counseling sessions, selecting counseling techniques, responding to the requirements of a correctional setting, and applying given facility policies.
- Pre-release casework - These questions test for the knowledge and application of social casework principles and practices in preparing inmates for release to parole and post-release supervision. Questions will cover such areas as conducting pre-release interviews; providing guidance regarding the conditions of release; determining inmate needs in areas such as family support, residential placement, and mental health; and addressing issues that may impact the inmate's successful reintegration into the community.
- Principles and practices of inmate group counseling - These questions test for a knowledge of and the ability to apply principles and practices of inmate group counseling in a variety of correctional settings. Questions may cover such areas as participant contracts, facilitating groups, and individual and group counseling goals and objectives.
For No. 00-348, Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator Trainee 1 (Spanish Language), you must also pass a qualifying multiple choice test in understanding written Spanish given at the time of the written test. Failure on the written Spanish test will eliminate you from further consideration from this title.
Written Spanish - These questions test for knowledge of written Spanish. Candidates will be given a passage written in Spanish similar to materials they are required to read on the job. Some of the words in the passage will be missing. Candidates will be asked to identify which one of several Spanish words or phrases should be inserted to best maintain the meaning of the passage.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans' credits to your final passing score.
Credit for Seniority
Seniority is credited at the rate of one credit for each five-year period (or fraction thereof), excluding the first year of service.
As an Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator Trainee 1, you would participate in a training program designed to orient you with the role of an Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator providing counseling to inmates at a correctional facility. If you are appointed as a Trainee 1, you will be promoted to Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator without further examination upon satisfactory completion of a two-year traineeship.
As an Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator Trainee 1 (Spanish Language), you would participate in a training program designed to orient you with the role of an Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator providing counseling to inmates at a correctional facility. If you are appointed as a Trainee 1, you will be promoted to Offender Rehabilitation Coordinator (Spanish Language) without further examination upon satisfactory completion of a two-year traineeship. You will be required to perform these duties for a caseload which includes monolingual Spanish-speaking inmates.
Important: The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies may communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your examination results and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
How To Apply
If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT processed.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, call 518-474 6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627.
Multiple Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center. For your convenience, contact information for all local civil service agencies is available on our website at: http://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local.cfm
Eligibility for Examination
To be considered a qualified employee eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in, or on leave from, the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
Do not bring cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices to the test site. The use of such devices at the test site in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas could result in your disqualification.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.