New York State Department of Civil Service Announces Open-Competitive Examination Open to the Public
Utility Consumer Program Specialist 3
- Written Test To Be Held
- March 28, 2015
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- February 11, 2015
|Non−Refundable Processing Fee
|Utility Consumer Program Specialist 3
|Utility Consumer Program Specialist 3 (Spanish Language)
THE LIST RESULTING FROM EXAMINATION NO. 25-907 ONLY WILL BE USED
FOR VACANCIES IN THE PLAINVIEW, NY AREA ONLY.
Appointees who work in Suffolk County will receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment.
On or before March 28, 2015, you must have seven years of experience in one or more of the following:
Either 1. developing public awareness or consumer education programs relating to energy, telecommunications, water, or cable utility matters including, but not limited to, presentations to consumers, consumer advocates, regulatory agency personnel, or utility industry representatives;
Or 2. analyzing utility customer education programs and/or customer service performance;
Or 3. designing, implementing, or evaluating customer or client outreach or education programs and publications;
Or 4. competitive energy markets;
Or 5. development and implementation of consumer-related policies applicable to electric utilities;
Or 6. development and implementation of electric utility customer service quality programs and performance incentives;
Or 7. development and implementation of public policy programs for electric utilities including programs to assist vulnerable customers and economic development programs;
Or 8. electric metering or submetering.
Either 1. an associate���s degree and five years of the above qualifying experience;
Or 2. a bachelor���s degree and three years of the above qualifying experience;
Or 3. a master���s degree and two years of the qualifying experience.
- You must clearly demonstrate how your experience meets the minimum qualifications. Vagueness or omission will not be interpreted in your favor.
- Your degree must have been awarded by a regionally accredited college or university or one recognized by the NYS Education Department as following acceptable educational practices. If your degree was awarded by an educational institution outside the United States and its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. You can write to the Examination Information Desk of the NYS Department of Civil Service for a list of acceptable companies who provide this service. You must pay the required evaluation fee. If you are applying on the Internet, you must mail the independent verification of equivalency to the New York State Department of Civil Service, Albany, New York 12239. Attention: S2DAG.
- A promotion examination is also being held for these positions. If you are eligible for appointment from a promotion list, you may not be appointed in your own agency from the list resulting from this examination open to the public.
- Although a promotion examination is being held, it is expected that appointments will be made as the result of these examinations open to the public.
- Important: As the processing fee is non-refundable, verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.
- If you submit an application for No. 25-908 Utility Consumer Program Specialist 3 (Spanish Language), an application will automatically be submitted for you for No. 25-907 Utility Consumer Program Specialist 3 at no additional cost.
- If you pass the examination for No. 25-908 Utility Consumer Program Specialist 3 (Spanish Language), you will be required to demonstrate your Spanish language proficiency at a level that will ensure your ability to perform properly the duties of the position. Only enough candidates to fill current vacancies will be called to the proficiency test.
- Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience, which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated basis.
- New York State residence is not required.
These positions exist in the Department of Public Service only.
As a Utility Consumer Program Specialist 3 or as a Utility Consumer Program Specialist 3 (Spanish Language), you would perform a variety of activities dealing with implementation of enforcement procedures, certification processes, reporting, and analysis; development and implementation of Department policies; facilitation of dispute resolution and economic development initiatives; and advocating for and communicating with end users on matters of utility or competitively provided energy, telecommunications, and water services.
Subject of Examination
There will be a written test which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. The written test is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
- Understanding and interpreting Public Service laws, rules, regulations, procedures, and utility tariffs - These questions test for the ability to read and analyze short written selections from the New York State Public Service law, rules, regulations, procedures, and utility tariffs. All the information needed to answer the questions will be contained in the written material accompanying the questions.
- Preparing written material - These questions test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly. For some questions, you will be given information in two or three sentences followed by four restatements of the information. You must then choose the best version. For other questions, you will be given paragraphs with their sentences out of order. You must then choose, from four suggestions, the best order for the sentences.
- Educating and interacting with the public - These questions test for a knowledge of techniques used to interact effectively with individual citizens and/or community groups, to educate or inform them about topics of concern, to publicize or clarify agency programs or policies, to negotiate conflicts or resolve complaints, and to represent one's agency or program in a manner in keeping with good public relations practices. Questions may also cover interacting with others in cooperative efforts of public outreach or service.
- Principles and practices of program planning and project management - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices of program planning and project management and the ability to properly apply program planning and project management techniques, including the planning, scheduling, implementation, coordination, troubleshooting, and evaluation of both short and long term programs and projects.
- Administrative supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices involved in directing the activities of a large subordinate staff, including subordinate supervisors. Questions relate to the personal interactions between an upper level supervisor and his/her subordinate supervisors in the accomplishment of objectives. These questions cover such areas as assigning work to and coordinating the activities of several units, establishing and guiding staff development programs, evaluating the performance of subordinate supervisors, and maintaining relationships with other organizational sections.
Your final score must be 70 or higher in order to pass. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans' and Civil Service Law Section 85-a credits to your final passing score.
How To Apply
If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT processed.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Appointment to many positions in State government require candidates to undergo an investigative screening. This may include a thorough character investigation, a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Record History Check, a Child Abuse Registry clearance, or other similar procedures. Candidates may be fingerprinted and may be required to pay any necessary fees for that procedure. Depending on the nature of the job, the criminal convictions discovered, or any falsified or omitted information revealed, the investigative findings may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment.
Eligibility for Employment
You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of appointment and throughout your employment with New York State. If appointed, you must produce documents that establish your identity and eligibility to work in the United States, as required by the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, and the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487 [press 2, then press 2]. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 2]. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, call 518-474-6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 1].
Multiple Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center. For your convenience, contact information for all local civil service agencies is available on our website at: http://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local.cfm
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
Do not bring cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices to the test site. The use of such devices at the test site in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas could result in your disqualification.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.