New York State Department of Civil Service Announces Open-Competitive Examination Open to the Public
Economic Development Program Specialist 2/3 (Agriculture)
- Evaluation of Training and Experience To Be Held During
- April 2017
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- February 24, 2017
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee|
|28-371||Economic Development Program Specialist 2 Agriculture||$69,057||G-23||$40|
|28-372||Economic Development Program Specialist 3 Agriculture||$85,163||G-27||$45|
Appointees who work in the five boroughs of New York City or in Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, or Westchester Counties will receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment. Appointees who work in Dutchess, Orange, or Putnam Counties will receive an additional $1,513 annual mid-Hudson adjustment.
On or before April 30, 2017, you must have:
For No. 28-371:
Either 1. seven years of experience in agriculture, natural resource management, regional planning, economic development, manufacturing, or food service fields; that include business or program management, domestic or international marketing, conducting research, event planning or coordination, or developing or implementing strategies;
Or 2. an associate’s degree and five years of the qualifying experience;
Or 3. a bachelor’s degree or higher and three years of the qualifying experience;
Or 4. a master’s degree or a juris doctorate degree and two years of the qualifying experience.
For No. 28-372:
Either 1. nine years of experience in agriculture, natural resource management, regional planning, economic development, manufacturing, or food service fields; that include business or program management, domestic or international marketing, conducting research, event planning or coordination, or developing or implementing strategies. Two years of this experience must have been at a supervisor level.
Or 2. an associate’s degree and seven years of the qualifying experience;
Or 3. a bachelor’s degree or higher and five years of the qualifying experience;>
Or 4. a master’s degree or a juris doctorate degree and four years of the qualifying experience.
IMPORTANT: Unless waived, you must pay the non-refundable processing fee. For information on fee waivers, visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc/appinfo.cfm#Fee. It is important that you verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.
- Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience, which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated basis.
- New York State residence is not required.
- Your degree must have been awarded by a regionally accredited college or university or one recognized by the NYS Education Department as following acceptable educational practices. If your degree was awarded by an educational institution outside the United States and its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. You can write to the Examination Information Desk of the NYS Department of Civil Service for a list of acceptable companies who provide this service. This information can also be found on the Internet at http://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/degrees.cfm. You must pay the required evaluation fee. If you are applying on the Internet, you must mail the independent verification of equivalency to the NYS Department of Civil Service, Albany, New York 12239. Attention: S1VXR.
- You may file for these examinations by completing one NYS-APP application form or applying on the Internet. Unless you are eligible for a fee waiver, the indicated processing fee must be submitted for each examination listed on your application.
- Travel Requirements: Appointment to certain positions requires extensive travel within a designated area of assignment. Appointees to these positions may be required to operate a motor vehicle or otherwise demonstrate their capacity to meet the transportation needs of the job. If the position requires that you operate a motor vehicle, you must possess a driver's license valid in New York State at the time of appointment and continuously thereafter. Field work and travel expenses are reimbursed on a fixed schedule.
- If you expect to meet the educational requirements by June 30, 2017, you can be admitted to the written test but you cannot be considered for appointment until you submit proof of successful completion of the educational requirements to the New York State Department of Civil Service.
These positions exist in The New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets statewide.
As an Economic Development Program Specialist 2 (Agriculture), you would deliver and supervise technical assistance programs to NYS producers, food processors, and agribusinesses and identify funding opportunities to enhance domestic and export marketing and promotion efforts and strategies. Administer and supervise programs that provide monetary assistance to farmers and consumers to develop or enhance the marketing, promotion or consumption of NYS agricultural commodities and products. Supervise competitive grant programs that award funds to farmers, farmers markets, agricultural cooperative, county agricultural, and farmland protection boards to develop agricultural markets and products. Approve the development, preparation, and maintenance of information to promote and market NYS agricultural commodities and products. Approve and develop materials for presentation at marketing and trade show events that promote and market New York’s food products to consumers, wholesalers, retailers, and the food industry. You would also supervise Economic Development Program Specialists 1 (Agriculture).
As an Economic Development Program Specialist 3 (Agriculture), you would report to the Director, Agricultural Development, and perform the following illustrative duties: Direct the marketing or business development programs to promote and increase domestic and international marketing of produced and processed food and agricultural products. Formulate statewide policies for agricultural marketing and promotion or business development programs, including developing and approving new statewide programs or initiatives that may require legislative action or impact existing legislated programs. Approve and prepare reports on the marketing and promotion or business development and support services programs for the division director and executive management. Oversee unit activities: Coordinate unit’s programs by prioritizing assignments and directing staff activities: Ensure that the delivery of programs is consistent with division’s goal: Supervise staff by assigning work, evaluating performance, and training and counseling staff: Coordinate unit’s activities with those of other units in the division or Department.
Subject of Examination
There will be no written test. The test will consist of an evaluation of your training and experience. When you apply, you must provide complete information to show that you meet the minimum qualifications. Do NOT send resumes. If you apply using the NYS-APP form and you need more space, attach additional 8½" x 11" sheets following the same format used on the application form. Additional unsolicited information will not be accepted after the last date for filing.
If you meet the Minimum Qualifications you will be sent a supplemental questionnaire to complete and return. The questionnaire will be used to evaluate your training and experience against the general background/critical activities of the position. This questionnaire will be the only basis for rating your training and experience.
Your final score must be 70 or higher in order to pass. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans' and Civil Service Law Section 85-a credits to your final passing score.
Important: The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies may communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your examination results and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your e-mail address, phone number and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
How To Apply
If you do not receive a number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT processed.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Appointment to many positions in State government require candidates to undergo an investigative screening. This may include a thorough character investigation, a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Record History Check, a Child Abuse Registry clearance, or other similar procedures. Candidates may be fingerprinted and may be required to pay any necessary fees for that procedure. Depending on the nature of the job, the criminal convictions discovered, or any falsified or omitted information revealed, the investigative findings may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment.
Eligibility for Employment
You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of appointment and throughout your employment with New York State. If appointed, you must produce documents that establish your identity and eligibility to work in the United States, as required by the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, and the Immigration and Nationality Act.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.