New York State Department of Civil Service Announces Open-Competitive Examination Open to the Public
Consultant In Physical Standards & Safety
- Evaluation of Education and Experience to be Held
- MAY 2017
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- March 29, 2017
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee|
|28-377||Consultant In Physical Standards & Safety||$64,302||G-22||$40|
Appointees who work in the five boroughs of New York City or in Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, or Westchester Counties will receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment. Appointees who work in Dutchess, Orange, or Putnam Counties will receive an additional $1,513 annual mid-Hudson adjustment.
On or before May 31, 2017, you must have
Either 1. Seven years of full time experience in technical building construction or building code enforcement related activities such as:
- inspecting materials and work products at building construction projects for adherence to contracts and to acceptable construction practices to ensure that quality, safety, and other standards are maintained; or
- reviewing construction plans, architectural drawings and specifications and consulting with architects and engineers; or
- providing engineering services including consultation, evaluation, planning, systems design, engineering surveys, or project oversight, in order to ensure work conforms to accepted engineering standards; or
- performing professional architectural work in planning and design for the creation, construction, alteration, rehabilitation or restoration of buildings and facilities, or performing technical reviews of consultants drawings and related details for such factors as compliance with appropriate codes, laws, regulations, and standards; or
- providing technical assistance and training in code enforcement and administration, and life safety code and fire prevention, and inspecting new and existing construction for compliance with approved plans and specifications and the New York State Uniform Fire, Building, and Energy Codes.
Or 2. A bachelor���s degree and three years of the experience described above;
Or 3. An associate���s degree and five years of the experience described above.
Experience can be a combination of the above activities.
Examples of qualifying experience might include performing those duties normally associated with working as an architectural engineer, civil engineer, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, building code enforcement officer, or fire protection specialist.
Non-qualifying experience: Experience as a property manager or building superintendent is not qualifying unless you can demonstrate the duties listed above were regularly performed.
NOTE: You must clearly and accurately describe your work experience on your application. Vagueness or omissions will not be interpreted in your favor.
IMPORTANT: Unless waived, you must pay the non-refundable processing fee. For information on fee waivers, visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc/appinfo.cfm##Fee. It is important that you verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.
- Your degree must have been awarded by a regionally accredited college or university or one recognized by the NYS Education Department as following acceptable educational practices. If your degree was awarded by an educational institution outside the United States and its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. You can write to the Examination Information Desk of the NYS Department of Civil Service for a list of acceptable companies who provide this service. This information can also be found on the Internet at http://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/degrees.cfm. You must pay the required evaluation fee. If you are applying on the Internet, you must mail the independent verification of equivalency to the NYS Department of Civil Service, Albany, New York 12239. Attention: S1JFG.
- Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience, which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated basis.
- New York State residence is not required.
These positions exist in the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance in Albany and New York City.*
As a Consultant in Physical Standards and Safety in the Division of Shelter Oversight and Compliance in the Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance you would be responsible for overseeing and monitoring the development of new facilities, overall review of construction plans for new and existing facilities, make final determination as to approval or disapproval of physical plan requirements for applications to operate shelters for adults and operational plans for shelters for families, inspection of existing facilities for compliance to applicable laws and regulations as they relate to physical plant and safety issues, and the provision of technical assistance. You would conduct site visits to determine costs and feasibility of planned construction, monitor the construction phases of individual projects, review construction plans, drawings and specifications, represent the Bureau of Shelter Services at design meetings, pre-bid site reviews with contractors, and meet periodically with facility operators, architects, engineers, and contractors.
Subject of Examination
There will be no written test. The test will consist of an evaluation of your education and experience. When you apply, you must provide complete information to show that you meet the minimum qualifications. Do NOT send resumes. If you apply using the NYS-APP form and you need more space, attach additional 8��" x 11" sheets following the same format used on the application form. Additional unsolicited information will not be accepted after the last date for filing.
If you meet the Minimum Qualifications you will be sent a supplemental questionnaire to complete and return. The questionnaire will be used to evaluate your education and experience against the general background/critical activities of the position. This questionnaire will be the only basis for rating your education and experience.
Your final score must be 70 or higher in order to pass. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime Veterans' and Civil Service Law Section 85-a credits to your final passing score.
Important: The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies may communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your examination results and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your e-mail address, phone number and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
How To Apply
If you do not receive a number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT processed.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Appointment to many positions in State government require candidates to undergo an investigative screening. This may include a thorough character investigation, a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Record History Check, a Child Abuse Registry clearance, or other similar procedures. Candidates may be fingerprinted and may be required to pay any necessary fees for that procedure. Depending on the nature of the job, the criminal convictions discovered, or any falsified or omitted information revealed, the investigative findings may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment.
Eligibility for Employment
You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of appointment and throughout your employment with New York State. If appointed, you must produce documents that establish your identity and eligibility to work in the United States, as required by the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, and the Immigration and Nationality Act.
*Revised Material: 2/28/17
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.