Health Systems Specialist 3 (Emergency Medical Care)
- Written Test To Be Held
- January 06, 2018
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- November 21, 2017
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Open to Employees of||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)|
|38-046||Health Systems Specialist 3 (Emergency Medical Care)||Health, Department of||$71,847||G-23||$20|
|IMPORTANT: Unless waived, you must pay the non-refundable processing fee. For information on fee waivers, visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc/appinfo.cfm##Fee. It is important that you verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.|
Promotion examination open to all qualified employees of the New York State Department of Health.
On or before January 6, 2018 you must be a qualified employee of the New York State Department of Health and have had three months of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as a:
Either A. Health Systems Specialist 1 (Emergency Medical Care), or Senior Emergency Medical Care Representative;
Or B. SG 18 or higher New York State Department of Health Employee with a current New York State Department of Health certification as an Emergency Medical Technician. Certification number needs to be included in the application under educational course work.*
*If you expect to meet the Emergency Medical Technician certification requirements by January 6th, 2018 you can be admitted to the written test, but you cannot be considered for appointment until you submit proof of an Emergency Medical Technician certification to the Appointing Authority at the time of the employment interview. Failure to meet the Emergency Medical Technician certification by January 6th, 2018 will result in your removal from the eligible list.
Only the title(s) listed is qualifying for this examination(s).
If you were permanently appointed to a qualifying title on or before October 6, 2017, and have served continuously in this title since that date, you are eligible to file for this examination.
Qualifying Experience for Appointment from the Eligible List
After one year of the service described in the Minimum Qualifications, successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list. Candidates must have a current NYS Department of Health certification as an Emergency Medical Technician. Continued employment as a Health Systems Specialist 3 (Emergency Medical Care) is dependent upon your retention of your certification as an Emergency Medical Technician or Advanced Emergency Medical Technician. Loss of certification will result in removal from employment.
Eligibles who meet the ?B? qualifications, and who are subsequently appointed to an ?A? title, may request to have their name added to the ?A? list, once they have completed the one year of service in the ?A? title. The request should be submitted in writing to the NYS Department of Civil Service, Albany, New York 12239; Attention: S1FCM.
- At the time of interview you must provide proof of your current certification.
- You need to maintain your certification as an Emergency Medical Technician or Advanced Emergency Medical Technician throughout your employment in this title.
Order of Certification
The order of certification of this eligible list will be:
- "A" eligibles
- "All" eligibles
These positions exist in the New York State Department of Health throughout New York State.
Subject of Examination
There will be a written test which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. The written test is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
- Ensuring effective inter/intra agency communications - These questions test for understanding of techniques for interacting effectively with individuals and agencies, to educate and inform them about topics of concern, to clarify agency programs or policies, to negotiate conflicts or resolve complaints, and to represent one's agency or program in a manner in keeping with good public relations practices. Questions may also cover interacting with the staff of one's own agency and/or that of other agencies in cooperative efforts of public outreach or service.
- Evaluating conclusions in light of known facts - These questions will consist of a set of factual statements and a conclusion. You must decide if the conclusion is proved by the facts, disproved by the facts or if the facts are not sufficient to prove or disprove the conclusion. The questions will not be specific to a particular field.
- Preparing reports and official documents - These questions test for the ability to prepare reports and other official documents for use within and among governmental agencies, in legal or regulatory settings, or for dissemination to the public. Some questions test for a knowledge of grammar, usage, punctuation, and sentence structure. Others test for the ability to present information clearly and accurately, to use the proper tone, and to organize paragraphs logically and comprehensibly.
- Understanding and interpreting written material - These questions test for the ability to understand and interpret written material. You will be presented with brief reading passages and will be asked questions about the passages. You should base your answers to the questions only on what is presented in the passages and not on what you may happen to know about the topic.
- Supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in planning, organizing, and controlling the activities of a work unit toward predetermined objectives. The concepts covered, usually in a situational question format, include such topics as assigning and reviewing work; evaluating performance; maintaining work standards; motivating and developing subordinates; implementing procedural change; increasing efficiency; and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale, and discipline.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime Veterans' credits to your final passing score.
Credit for Seniority
Seniority is credited at the rate of one credit for each five-year period (or fraction thereof), excluding the first year of service.
As a Health Systems Specialist 3 (Emergency Medical Care), you would work with pre-hospital care providers, ambulance services, first response agencies and EMS course sponsors. You may administer the certification and inspection program for ambulance services and other pre-hospital medical services; investigate complaints against ambulance services, pre-hospital care personnel and EMS education training agencies; monitor compliance by certified providers and EMS training agencies; review public function and mass gathering applications; work with local, state and federal management offices to develop and implement disaster management plans and mutual aid agreements; provide training, technical support to EMS providers and services, and collaboration with intra-and inter-agency taskforces; develop and implement curriculum, protocols, policies and procedures; provide supervision, time and workload management to field/central office staff; represent the bureau at Department meetings and participate in projects; manage contracts; manage databases; prepare and give reports and presentations; and serve as Department of Health liaison with state regional or local EMS councils and emergency medical advisory committees.
Important: The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies may communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your examination results and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
How To Apply
If you do not receive a number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT processed.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, call 518-474 6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627.
Multiple Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center. For your convenience, contact information for all local civil service agencies is available on our website at: http://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local.cfm
Eligibility for Examination
To be considered a qualified employee eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in, or on leave from, the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
Do not bring cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices to the test site. The use of such devices at the test site in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas could result in your disqualification.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.