New York State Department of Civil Service Announces Examinations Open to All Qualified Individuals
- Applications Accepted
- Tests To Be Held
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)|
|20-561||Recreation Therapist (Spanish Language)||$36,228||G-14|
|20-562||Recreation Therapist (Art)||$36,228||G-14||$0|
|20-563||Recreation Therapist (Dance)||$36,228||G-14||$0|
|20-564||Recreation Therapist (Music)||$36,228||G-14||$0|
NO APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE REQUIRED
Appointees in the five boroughs of New York City or in Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, or WestchesterCounties will receive an additional $1,264 ($1,302, effective 4/01/06) annual downstate adjustment. Appointees who work in Dutchess, Orange, or PutnamCounties will receive an additional $632 ($651, effective 4/01/06) annual Mid-Hudson adjustment.
On or before the date of filing your application, you must have
For Number 20-560 Recreation Therapist and No. 20-561 Recreation Therapist (Spanish Language):
- a bachelor's degree in Therapeutic Recreation; OR
- a bachelor's degree in Recreation, Physical Education or Adaptive Physical Education AND one year of experience in planning and administering a therapeutic recreation program+ which involved developing and coordinating therapeutic recreational activities for geriatric patients/residents, individuals with developmental disabilities, individuals with psychiatric disabilities, individuals that are physically challenged, or individuals in treatment for chemical dependency; OR
- current credentials as a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) issued by the National Council For Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC), 7 Elmwood Drive, New City, NY 10956. For further information you may contact them at (845) 639-1439 or at www.NCTRC.org
For Number 20-562 Recreation Therapist (Art):
- a bachelor's degree with a concentration or major in Art Therapy; OR
- a bachelor's degree in Art, Art Education or Fine Arts AND one year of experience in planning and administering an art therapy program++; OR
- registration with the American Art Therapy Association as an Art Therapist.
For Number 20-563 Recreation Therapist (Dance):
- a bachelor's degree with a concentration or major in Dance Therapy; OR
- a bachelor's degree in Dance or Dance Education AND one year of experience in planning and administering a dance therapy program++; OR
- registration with the American Dance Therapy Association as a Dance Therapist.
For Number 20-564 Recreation Therapist (Music):
- a bachelor's degree with a concentration or major in Music Therapy; OR
- a bachelor's degree in Music or Music Education AND one year of experience in planning and administering a music therapy program++; OR
- certification by the American Music Therapy Association as a Music Therapist.
+ A therapeutic recreation program is defined as a professional service that assists people with disabilities and other limitations to have a leisure life-style that encompasses functional independence, health and well-being through treatment, education and participation. Therapeutic recreation is practiced in clinical, community and residential treatment settings.
++ This experience must involve development and coordination of recreational activities for geriatric patients/residents, individuals with developmental disabilities, individuals with psychiatric disabilities, individuals who are physically challenged, or individuals in treatment for chemical dependency. This experience must utilize the creative therapies of art, dance or music as a psychotherapeutic means of achieving in these individuals emotional growth and increased levels of functioning.
- Some agencies may require an investigative screening that may include a thorough character investigation. Candidates interested in appointment to positions in Department of Health Veterans Homes will also be subject to an FBI Criminal Record History Check.
- Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience, which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated basis.
- Your degree and/or college credit must have been awarded by a regionally accredited college or university or one recognized by the NYS Education Department as following acceptable educational practices. If your degree and/or college credit was awarded by an educational institution outside the United States and its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. For a list of acceptable companies who provide this service you can contact the Examination Information Desk, New York State Department of Civil Service, Alfred E. Smith Office Building, Albany, NY 12239 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on (518) 457-6216. You must pay the required evaluation fee.
- If you pass the examination for No. 20-561, Recreation Therapist (Spanish Language), you will be required to demonstrate your Spanish language proficiency at a level that will ensure your ability to properly perform the duties of the position.
The majority of these positions exist in the Office of Mental Health and the Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities with a significant number of positions in the Bronx, Wards Island and West Brentwood. These positions also exist in the Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services; the Departments of Correctional Services, Education, and Health, and the State University Health Science Center in Syracuse.
Subject of Examination
If you meet the Minimum Qualifications, your education and experience will be evaluated against the general background/critical activities of the position. It is essential that you describe your education and experience as completely as possible on the Application For NYS Examinations Open To The Public, Form NYS-APP. Ambiguity, vagueness or omissions will not be decided in your favor. Do NOT send resumes. If you need more space, attach additional 8½" x 11" sheets, following the same format used on the application form.
As a Recreation Therapist, you would plan and conduct activities for client/patient groups, working individually or as a member of a treatment team or treatment program. You would analyze and report behavioral patterns to a team leader or other supervisor, verbally or in medical records. As a treatment team member, you would participate in team meetings, recreation/leisure assessment and evaluation. In addition, you may be required to requisition, store and maintain equipment and supplies. If you work in the creative art therapies, you would, depending upon the specialty, provide programs in art, dance or music to achieve a therapeutic aim. The goal of each program is to bring about positive change in a client's/patient's mental, physical and/or social behavior.
How To Apply
You Can Also
- Download examination application NYS-APP form; or
- Email email@example.com to request NYS-APP forms; or
- Obtain an NYS-APP form from a State agency or facility personnel/business office; or
- Request NYS-APP form by calling the Department of Civil Service in the Albany area at 518-457-2487 or toll free at 1-877-697-5627.
The NYS Department of Civil Service reserves the right to reject for lateness or to accept applications filed after the advertised filing period. All statements you make on your application are subject to investigation.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Appointment to many positions in State government require candidates to undergo an investigative screening. This may include a thorough character investigation, a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Record History Check, a Child Abuse Registry clearance, or other similar procedures. Candidates may be fingerprinted and may be required to pay any necessary fees for that procedure. Depending on the nature of the job, the criminal convictions discovered, or any falsified or omitted information revealed, the investigative findings may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment.
Eligibility for Employment
You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of appointment and throughout your employment with New York State. If appointed, you must produce documents that establish your identity and eligibility to work in the United States, as required by the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, and the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
New York State Residence Is Not Required For Most Positions
However, you must be eligible for employment in the United States.
Continuous Recruitment/Eligible Lists
Candidates who meet the qualification and pass this examination will have their names placed on the eligible list in the order of final scores, regardless of the date on which they filed or took the test. Generally, the names of qualified candidates will remain on the eligible list for two years. Appeal of ratings will not be allowed as the opportunity for retest exists. The department of Civil Service reserves the right to terminate this special recruitment program.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.