Tree Pruner Supervisor
- Written Test To Be Held
- April 25, 2020
You may be assigned to either Saturday or Sunday.
Please refer to the information below.
- Applications Must Be Submitted or Postmarked By
- March 11, 2020
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Open to Employees of||Salary||Salary Grade||Non−Refundable Processing Fee (Waivers available)|
|38-582||Tree Pruner Supervisor||Transportation, Department of||$41,130||SG-11||$10|
|You may be assigned to either Saturday or Sunday to take your test. The Department of Civil Service reserves the right to administer tests either online or with paper booklets and answer sheets. Your admission notice will tell you whether your test will be administered online. You cannot request a day in advance or change your scheduled day.|
|IMPORTANT: Unless waived, you must pay the non-refundable processing fee. For information on fee waivers, visit https://www.cs.ny.gov/examannouncements/types/oc/appinfo.cfm##Fee. It is important that you verify that you entered the correct examination number and title on your online or paper application prior to submitting. If you apply online, you should immediately review your email confirmation notice to verify that you applied for the correct examination. If you do not receive a confirmation number after submitting your online application, your application was NOT received by the Department of Civil Service. No late applications will be accepted after the filing deadline has passed.|
Promotion examination open to all qualified employees of the New York State Department of Transportation.
On or before April 25, 2020, you must be a qualified employee of the New York State Department of Transportation and have had three months of permanent non-competitive service as a Tree Pruner.
Only the title or titles listed are qualifying.
If you were permanently appointed to a qualifying title on or before January 25, 2020, and have served continuously in this title since that date, you are eligible to file for this examination.
Qualifying Experience for Appointment from the Eligible List
After one year of the service described in the Minimum Qualifications, successful candidates will be qualified for appointment from the eligible list.
- At the time of appointment and continuously thereafter, appointees will be required to maintain a Class A or Class B Commercial Driver?s License with no air brake restrictions.
- Appointees to these positions will be required to maintain a large dump certification and a ?one-person snow plowing? certification. Failure to maintain these certifications will result in termination.
- You may be required to obtain and maintain a Commercial Pesticide Applicator?s License or a Certified Commercial Pesticide Technician?s License from the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.
- You may be required to obtain and maintain a line clearance certification.
- You may be required to perform work while on ladders up to 14 feet high, on lift platforms 25-30 feet high, and on buckets attached to trucks up to 65 feet high. You may also be required to climb trees up to 80 feet high using climbing ropes and harness systems. You will be required to park on the shoulder of the highway, working next to free flowing traffic passing at highway speeds that can exceed 65 mph. You will be required to work in all types of conditions, including inclement weather such as extreme wind, cold and heat as well as rain and snow storms.
- In accordance with Section 52.11 of the Civil Service Law, individuals serving permanently in the non competitive or labor class in a qualifying title (including those serving under Section 55-b/55-c) who otherwise meet the requirements for taking this examination are eligible to compete in this promotion examination.
- This examination is being held on a promotion and open-competitive basis. If you are admitted to the promotion examination under anticipated eligibility (i.e., you do not have the required one year of Qualifying Experience For Appointment From The Eligible List) and if you meet the open-competitive minimum qualifications, you may also be admitted to the open-competitive examination. To be admitted, you must apply for the open-competitive examination according to the instructions given on the open-competitive announcement. Once you meet the required one year of qualifying service for appointment from the promotion list, you will not be eligible for appointment from the open-competitive eligible list.
- Appointees to this position may be required to undergo periodic medical examinations to reassess their ability to perform the essential duties of the position.
Subject of Examination
There will be a written test which you must pass in order to be considered for appointment. The written test is designed to test for knowledge, skills, and/or abilities in such areas as:
- Tree felling, removing, spraying, and trimming - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices involved in pruning, trimming, felling, and removing trees; proper spraying procedures for applying pesticides; and safe operating procedures.
- Tree and shrub planting, cultivating, transplanting, and pruning, including identification and characteristics of trees common to NYS - These questions test for knowledge of the principles, practices, and proper techniques involved in planting, cultivating, transplanting, and pruning trees and shrubs; and the ability to identify various types of trees and woody plants common to New York State, including their characteristics and site requirements.
- Tools, equipment, terminology, and safety practices related to the care and removal of trees - These questions test for knowledge of the proper use and maintenance of the various types of tools and equipment involved in the care and removal of trees, including safe operating practices.
- Supervision - These questions test for knowledge of the principles and practices employed in planning, organizing, and controlling the activities of a work unit toward predetermined objectives. The concepts covered, usually in a situational question format, include such topics as assigning and reviewing work; evaluating performance; maintaining work standards; motivating and developing subordinates; implementing procedural change; increasing efficiency; and dealing with problems of absenteeism, morale, and discipline.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime Veterans' credits to your final passing score.
Credit for Seniority
Seniority is credited at the rate of one credit for each five-year period (or fraction thereof), excluding the first year of service.
As a Tree Pruner Supervisor, you would supervise tree pruners or maintenance workers in tree work involving the removal of trees, portions of trees and shrubs as encountered along highways. Tree work may include elevated access by tree climbing with safe use of climbing ropes and harness systems as well as by aerial lifts with appropriate fall prevention/protection systems. You will be responsible for the planning of tree removal method and sequence, communication and implementation of safe operating procedures to protect crew, public, and proximate property/objects during the work and for cutting procedures to preserve trees not removed during trimming/pruning. Practices involved may include rigging, roping, climbing, use of aerial lifts, use of chain saws and other cutting equipment for pruning and tree removal, pesticide (herbicide) application, and other activities to address hazard trees along the highway. You would supervise the operation of various equipment and keep records of time, material, equipment, and completed work. You would be responsible for the safety of your crews. During snow and ice season, you may be required to operate large dump trucks, perform one person snow plowing, and operate other pieces of highway equipment. You may also be required to supervise these snow and ice activities. You would be required to work outside your regular work hours.
Important: The Department of Civil Service and other state agencies may communicate with you through email correspondence. This may include the notification of your examination results and canvassing you for interest in appointment. It will be important for you to keep your email address, phone number and mailing address current by logging into https://www.cs.ny.gov/home/myaccount.
How To Apply
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Most written tests are held on Saturdays. If you cannot take the test on the announced test date, due to a conflict with a religious observance or practice, check the box under “Religious Accommodation.” We will make arrangements for you to take the test on a different date (usually the following day).
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
Admission to Examination
Notice to appear for the test may be conditional as review of applications may not be made until after the test. If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, email us at AdmissionNotices@cs.ny.gov. Please provide your first and last name, address, and the last four digits of your social security number, and we will provide you with the information you need to attend your written test. If you have an issue other than not receiving your admission notice, please contact our office at (518) 474-6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627. Please leave a clear concise message and provide your first and last name, last four digits of your social security number and a daytime phone number.
Taking State and Local Examinations Scheduled for the Same Day
If you have applied to take a written test announced by either one or several local jurisdictions (county, town, city) scheduled to be held on the same test date as this written test, you must notify each of the local jurisdictions no later than two weeks before the test date to make arrangements for taking all tests at one test site. All tests will be held at the state examination center. For your convenience, contact information for all local civil service agencies is available on our website at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local.cfm.
Eligibility for Examination
To be considered a qualified employee eligible to compete in this examination, you must be employed in, or on leave from, the specified department or agency on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the competitive class, or in the non-competitive class or labor class if specifically noted on this announcement (or be on an appropriate preferred list), and have the specified time in the specified title or salary grade. You may not compete in a test for a title if you are permanently employed in that title (unless you are still on probation) or in a higher direct line of promotion.
Cell Phones or Electronic/Communication Devices at the Test Site
Do not bring cell phones, beepers, headphones, or any electronic or other communication devices to the test site. The use of such devices at the test site in the test room, hallways, restrooms, building, grounds, or other areas could result in your disqualification.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.