1400 ELIGIBLE LISTS
1460 REEMPLOYMENT ROSTERS
.110 Description and Purpose
Generally, reemployment rosters contain the names of former permanent employees
who have been separated due to reductions in force, reorganizations and
reassignments and whose names have been placed on preferred lists. These
rosters provide these employees with additional mandated opportunities
for reemployment in State service in addition to those provided by preferred
lists. The names of employees are placed on reemployment rosters when
they have obtained preferred list rights pursuant to:
- CSL §81.1 which provides preferred list rights to employees who
are suspended or demoted pursuant to CSL §80 or 80-a; or
- CSL §70.2 which provides preferred list rights to employees who
are separated due to a transfer of function between State Departments
or Agencies and/or Civil divisions of the State; or
- CSR 4.11 and 4.12 which provide preferred list rights to employees
appointed pursuant to these rules who are subsequently separated
due to the return of the prior permanent incumbent of the position.
However, employees who have returned or been reinstated to a lower-level
position, and whose rights to be reinstated are thereby restricted
by these rules, will not have their names placed on reemployment
- Department of Civil Service policy which grants preferred list rights
to employees who refuse to accept an involuntary reassignment to a county
other than the one in which currently employed.
.210 Establishment and Duration
Unlike examination eligible lists which are established as of a specific
date, the names of employees eligible for reemployment roster status
are interfiled with the names of other eligibles as of the date on which
they become eligible for preferred list status.
B . Duration
Employees' eligibility for appointment from a reemployment roster coincides
with their eligibility for reinstatement from a preferred list, i.e.,
four years from the date on which their name was placed on the list.
.220 Placement of Names and Ranking
- The names of preferred list eligibles are placed on reemployment rosters
for selected titles, other than preferred list titles, based on a similarity
between duties, minimum qualifications and examinations. Additionally,
titles are selected based on the expectation that eligibles will be
able to perform the duties of the title once they have completed the
standard orientation and training which occurs during the probationary
- The names of preferred list eligibles are interfiled on reemployment
rosters regardless of the reason for their eligibility for reemployment
roster status or their date of eligibility.
- The names of reemployment roster eligibles are not ranked. Any eligible
whose name appears on a reemployment roster may be considered for appointment.
.230 Removal of Names
.231 Effect of Declination
- The names of eligibles who decline or fail to reply to an offer
of employment from a reemployment roster certification shall be removed
from the reemployment roster in the same manner as for preferred lists.
However, such action will not affect preferred list eligibility.
- The names of eligibles who decline or fail to reply to offers from
a preferred list certification shall also be removed from the reemployment
.232 Effect of Reemployment
- The names of eligibles who are reemployed in a position in New York
State Government will be removed from the reemployment roster in the
same manner as for preferred lists.
- Agencies may request removal of the name of an eligible from the
reemployment roster and/or preferred list for misconduct or disability.
- Eligibles may voluntarily remove their names from the reemployment
rosier and preferred list. Unlike eligibles who request temporarily
inactive status, eligibles whose names are removed at their request
will not be restored to the reemployment roster.
.240 Certification Limitations
.241 Certain eligibles may have their rights to be certified on a reemployment
roster restricted by law, rule or policy as follows
- The names of eligibles placed on preferred lists due to
separation resulting from a transfer of function are restricted to
reemployment rosters and preferred lists which are certified for positions
in their former agency, and for positions in the agency to which the
function was transferred.
- Eligibles who were serving part-time as of the date of layoff, who
have never served full-time in their title, or who did not have at
least one year of permanent part-time service prior to layoff will
be restricted to part-time reemployment from the reemployment roster.
- Eligibles may request that their names be restricted from specific
certifications of the reemployment roster and preferred list for good
- The Department of Civil Service may restrict the names of eligibles
who have resigned, or who have been terminated during probation from
a position subsequent to an appointment from a reemployment roster
or preferred list.
.250 Temporarily Inactive Status - Eligibles may request to have their
names temporarily inactivated on the reemployment roster and preferred
.410 Certification, Canvassing, Interviewing and Reporting Results of
Canvass of Reemployment Rosters
- The procedures for certification of reemployment rosters are nearly
identical to those described for preferred lists.
- Agencies must use form S-290.1; Reemployment Roster Canvass letter,
when canvassing a reemployment roster.
.420 Appointments from Reemployment Rosters (See also 1800
- Any eligible whose name appears on a reemployment roster certification
may be appointed (i.e., "Rule of the list").
- Appointments from a certification of a reemployment roster must
be made with an effective date within 60 days from the date of the
- All appointments from a reemployment roster certification require
the eligible to serve a probationary period unless waived by the agency
at the time of appointment.
- See the appropriate section of the payroll manual for the processing
and coding of payroll forms, PR-75.
.430 Restrictions, Limitations and Exceptions
The procedures for reemployment rosters are nearly identical to those
described for preferred lists. (See 1450
.430 through .450. )
Return to Top ^