0800 Classification and Compensation
0820 Statutory Authority
.110 Equal Pay for Equal Work
.111 Section 115 of the Civil Service Law states that the policy of the State of New York is to provide Equal Pay for Equal Work. It is this guiding principle that is the foundation of the New York State Classification and Pay Plan.
.120 The Director of the Division of Classification and Compensation
.121 Section 117 of the Civil Service Law places the responsibility for the maintenance of the State classification and compensation system with the Director of the Division of Classification and Compensation.
.130 Statutory Powers
.131 Section 118 of the Civil Service Law lists the general and specific powers and duties of the Director of the Division of Classification and Compensation. These responsibilities include:
- To classify and reclassify all positions in the Classified Civil Service (Classified Service) of the State.
- To allocate and reallocate all positions in the Competitive and Non-competitive Jurisdictional Classes, except temporary, part-time, and seasonal positions, or positions the salaries of which are otherwise specifically set forth in statute.
- To allocate and reallocate to an appropriate salary grade, under the Director’s discretion, part-time, temporary and seasonal positions and positions in the Labor Jurisdictional Class.
- To apply the principle of fair and equal pay for similar work in the classification and reclassification and the allocation and reallocation of positions.
- To ascertain and record the duties and responsibilities of all positions in the Classified Service of the State and establish specifications showing the qualifications and nature, extent, and scope of duties and responsibilities.
- To investigate all matters affecting the classification and compensation of positions and to hear and determine all complaints and grievances with respect to classification and compensation. The Director may request from any State agency or department such assistance as required and upon such request, agencies and departments shall make available any of its personnel and facilities.
TM-65 - Replaces: All of Section 0800 Dated
Prior to August, 2008
Return to Top ^