Open Competitive Application
Important information you need to know before applying online for an open competitive examination
- Most open competitive examinations require you to pay an application processing fee (see the examination announcement) with your application.
- The application processing fee is not refundable.
- To apply online you must pay the application processing fee by credit card unless you qualify for a waiver.
- We only accept Visa and MasterCard at this time.
- We verify billing address and credit card security code with the credit card company, to reduce the risk of fraudulent transactions. Since we are unable to verify foreign addresses, the credit card billing address must be in the United States.
- Your application is not "filed" until you click the "submit" button and receive a confirmation notice/number, which you should retain for future reference.
- If you are unable, or have decided not, to file online you can complete and mail in a paper application, form NYS-APP and pay the non-refundable application processing fee with a check or money order. Find out how to obtain a paper application by visiting our NYS-APP Web page.