- You must first view the examination announcement and select "Apply On-line" to begin the application process.
- Read the examination announcement carefully and follow the instructions there for on-line filing.
- Create a Civil Service User ID and password if this is your first time, OR Use your existing Civil Service User ID and password.
- Complete the application process by reading each page carefully and following the instructions.
- Submit online credit card payment of non-refundable application processing fee unless you qualify for a waiver.
- Submit your online application before midnight on the last date for filing stated on the announcement.
- Most examinations require you to pay an application processing fee (see the examination announcement) with your application.There is not a fee for all examinations. If a fee is due and you wish to complete the online filing process, you must choose the option to pay by credit card unless you qualify for a waiver as described below.
- The application processing fee is not refundable.
- To apply online you must pay the application processing fee by credit card unless you qualify for a waiver.
- We only accept Visa and MasterCard at this time.
- We verify billing address and credit card security code with the credit card company, to reduce the risk of fraudulent transactions. Since we are unable to verify foreign addresses, the credit card billing address must be in the United States.
- Your application is not "filed" until you click the "submit" button and receive a confirmation notice/number, which you should retain for future reference.
- If you are unable, or have decided not, to file online you can complete and mail in a paper application, form NYS-APP and pay the non-refundable application processing fee with a check or money order.
The fee is charged to defray the cost of processing applications. It is due at the time an application is submitted. The fee is non-refundable and, therefore, will not be returned if you decide you didn't want to apply for that test, your application is disapproved, you do not take the test(s) or you are not successful on the examination. Also, the fee payment cannot be transferred to another examination.
- No fee is due if you are unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household. Choose the option, "I am unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household."
- No fee is due if you are determined eligible for Medicaid, or receiving Supplemental Social Security payments, or Public Assistance (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families/Family Assistance or Safety Net Assistance) or are certified Job Training Partnership Act/Workforce Investment Act eligible through a state or local social service agency. Choose the option, "I am receiving public assistance."
- If you are a NYS employee in a position represented by CSEA and you are applying for an open-competitive examination, you are not required to submit a processing fee under current negotiated agreements. Choose the option "I am a NYS employee and my fee is paid by my union (CSEA Negotiating Units 02, 03, 04 & 47)." Refunds will not be issued to employees covered by the agreements if they submit a fee.
- All claims are subject to verification. Those not supported by appropriate documentation are grounds for barring or rescinding an appointment.
Admission to Examination
We usually review your application before the test to be sure that you qualify. Generally we will advise you if we need more information. You may be admitted to the test pending a full review of your application. If you take the test but your application is disapproved later, you will not receive a test score. If your application is disapproved, we will notify you of the reason.
If you are applying for a written test and you do not receive a notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, call 518-474-6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627 [press 2, then press 1].
Place of Examination
Unless the exam announcement states otherwise, written tests are held in the following locations, although some may not be open for every examination. You will be assigned to the nearest OPEN location based on the postal ZIP code for your mailing address.
- New York City (Manhattan)
- Port Jefferson
- Saranac Lake
Oral tests are usually held in Albany only.
Contact InformationIf you have problems:
If you encounter problems regarding the application process, please contact the New York State Department of Civil Service at:
Please be as specific as possible when describing any problems. Be sure to include what you were doing, or attempting to do, at the time you encountered the problem.