M/C Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Coverage
The New York State Group Life Insurance Plan, M/C Life, offers Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance coverage to help protect your loved ones should you experience a life-altering accident or death. With M/C Life benefits, your family will be better able to meet financial obligations. M/C Life offers competitive rates and different coverage options to meet your needs, budget and unique family circumstances.
To be eligible to enroll in the M/C Life Insurance Plan, you must be employed by, or appointed or elected to a position in, New York State government as a:
- Management/Confidential employee of the State or of certain Participating Employers
- Member of the State Legislature
- Annual employee of the State Legislature
- Judge or Justice of the Unified Court System of the State
- Nonjudicial employee of the court system who has been designated Management/Confidential
Additionally, retirees who are enrolled in the M/C Life Insurance Plan at the time of their retirement and elected to continue the coverage may do so.
If you elect coverage for yourself, you may also elect Life Insurance coverage for your spouse or domestic partner and/or eligible children. However, only you, the enrollee, are eligible for Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance.
When enrolling in M/C Life, you may choose between either a fixed amount or a multiple of your salary.
The following coverage options are available for you as the enrollee:
- A Life Insurance benefit of a fixed amount or a multiple of pay up to the benefit minimum of $5,000 and no greater than the benefit maximum of $500,000
- An Accidental Death and Dismemberment benefit of up to a maximum of $250,000
- A Common Carrier Accidental Death benefit of up to a maximum of $250,000
In addition, you may select the following Life Insurance options for your dependents:
- 50% of the amount of your Life Insurance coverage for your spouse or domestic partner up to a maximum of $20,000
- $4,000 Life Insurance coverage for each eligible dependent child
Life Insurance premiums are based on several factors including your age, smoking status and the amount and type of coverage you choose. You can use the M/C Life Insurance Calculator to help you determine how much a policy will cost.
In most cases, if you are an active employee, premiums will be deducted from your biweekly paycheck. Click here for the biweekly rate schedule.
If you retire and choose to continue your Life Insurance, a monthly billing notice will be sent to you, or you may elect to have the payments deducted from your retirement check. Click here for the monthly rate schedule.
Rates are adjusted annually. The Employee Benefits Division will notify you of rate changes each year in the fall.
To enroll in M/C Life Insurance coverage, you must complete the following forms:
- PS-934 M/C Group Life Insurance Transaction Form
- PS-934.1 M/C Group Life Insurance Beneficiary Designation Form
Complete and return both forms to your agency Health Benefits Administrator (HBA) within the first six biweekly payroll periods after you become eligible. Once you have separated from State service, you are no longer eligible to enroll.
- Annual Update of M/C Group Life Insurance Plan General Information.
- Certificate of Insurance - information on M/C Life Insurance coverage
- Active employees - contact your HBA with any questions
- Retired employees - call the Employee Benefits Division at 518-473-3496