GENERAL INFORMATION BULLETIN No. 17-05
TO: Department and Agency Directors, Human Resources and Affirmative Action Officers
FROM: Allen Jordan, Manager (Commission Operations)
SUBJECT: Diversity Plan for Positions Requested Outside of the Competitive Class
DATE: December 12, 2017
Consistent with the Administration’s goal of building and sustaining a workforce that reflects the many unique faces, voices, backgrounds, and ideas of the people we serve, the State Civil Service Commission directed that effective immediately, when submitting requests for jurisdictional classification of positions outside the competitive class, agencies must submit a comprehensive staffing plan for each position included in the Jurisdictional Classification Request letter. The plan must include a commitment to fostering diversity and inclusion in the workplace; provide specific recruitment/outreach strategies for attracting a diverse candidate pool; and set forth details regarding the interview process, and structure of the interview and selection panel(s) to ensure equity in the process.
For each position, the following information must be included:
- An explanation of the agency’s commitment to fostering diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
- Outreach and recruitment mechanisms, which may include, but are not limited to:
- Outreach to:
- Veterans’ Groups
- Historically Black College and Universities (HBCUs)
- Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSIs)
- Social and Civic Organizations (Sororities, Fraternities)
- Professional Organizations reaching diverse candidate pools, including but not limited to:
- American Association of People with Disabilities Career Center
- Association of Black Women Attorneys
- Muslim Bar Association of New York
- National Association of Hispanic Nurses
- National Association of Black Accountants
- National Black MBA Association
- LGBT Bar Association of Greater New York
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers
- Diversity and Inclusion offices at local colleges, universities and professional schools.
- Channels to be used to advertise the position(s) such as posting on:
- Agency’s website
- Recruitment websites (indeed, Monster)
- Social media
- Detail regarding the interview process and the structure of the interview panel(s) if applicable, as well as noting how the basis for a hiring decision will be documented and reviewed.
Please ensure that this information is set forth in your agency's letter of request to the Commission. Contact the Office of Commission Operations at 518-473-6598 if you have any questions.