GENERAL INFORMATION BULLETIN No. 18-01
TO: Department and Agency Directors, Human Resources and Affirmative Action Officers
FROM: Scott DeFruscio, Director of Staffing Services
SUBJECT: Use of the Diversity Management Option for the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) Exam
DATE: March 23, 2018
The purpose of this General Information Bulletin (GIB) is to highlight and provide additional information on the use of the Diversity Management eligible lists associated with the Professional Career Opportunities examination (PCO), as outlined in GIB 17-04.
The intent of the Diversity Management Option is to provide agencies with qualified candidates to fill positions in which the ability to perform the established duties entails an understanding of diversity management and equal opportunity principles. Once an agency has identified such a position, the agency Human Resources Office may request a Diversity Management eligible list for the subject title by following the procedures outlined below.
To qualify for placement on Diversity Management eligible lists, candidates must have met the following minimum qualifications:
- 30 semester credit hours in the study of people of diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds; gender; socioeconomic class; sexual/affectional orientation; or disability, with no more than six of the semester credit hours in a language area; OR
- One or more years of active involvement or work experience with or for a Community Group or Advocacy Organization whose mission or goal is to promote practical solutions to ensure equality of rights and/or remove barriers of discrimination based on racial, ethnic, and cultural background; gender; socioeconomic class; sexual/affectional orientation; or disability. Appropriate part-time and volunteer involvement or experience which can be verified will be accepted on a prorated basis.
Examples of a qualifying Group or Organization include, but are not limited to, an equal employment opportunity (EEO) or civil rights organization, a sorority or fraternity, a minority neighborhood association or organization whose mission or goal is to promote practical solutions that address the challenges faced by individuals due to their racial, ethnic, and cultural background; gender; socioeconomic class; sexual/affectional orientation; or disability (e.g. Centro Civico, NAACP, Out & Equal, the Aids Council).
Requesting a Diversity Management List
The Department of Civil Service (Department) established Diversity Management lists for the following categories:
- Generalist Job Titles: To request the Diversity Management list for a Generalist Job Title (e.g. Human Resources Specialist Trainee 1) select Eligible List No. 40-000.
- Language Parenthetic Lists for the Generalist Job Titles: To request these lists select the appropriate eligible list number from the PCO List Numbers chart below (e.g. 40-019, PCO - Generalist - Spanish Language).
- Sublists for the Various Select Job Titles: To request the Diversity Management Option of a select list, choose the Diversity option when requesting the select list. For example, when the title code for Jobs Program Specialist is entered, a choice of Jobs Program Specialist or Jobs Program Specialist-Diversity is offered. To request the Diversity option, choose Jobs Program Specialist-Diversity.
Before requesting a Diversity Management list certification for a position, the agency must:
- Complete Form ATT-PCODM1 and Form ATT-PCODM2 for each individual position for which a Diversity Management list is requested
- Form ATT-PCODM1 is an attestation that the position being filled requires the appointment of an eligible who has demonstrated an understanding of diversity management and equal opportunity principles. This form must be completed and signed by the agency Human Resources Office. The form does not need to be submitted to the Department. Rather, it should be kept on file at the agency.
- Form ATT-PCODM2 is an attestation that the agency has completed and kept Form ATT-PCODM1 on file. This form must be submitted to the Department and kept on file at the agency.
- Email Form ATT-PCODM2 to the PCO Unit at PCO@cs.ny.gov. Once Form ATT-PCODM2 has been emailed to the PCO Unit, the agency may immediately request the appropriate Diversity Management eligible list in ELMS.
NOTE: Agencies may use either the base list or the Diversity Management list for each title to fill a single position. For example, if an agency wanted to fill two Job Program Specialist positions and it has been determined that knowledge/experience in EEO principles would enhance the ability to perform established duties of one of the positions (perhaps based on programmatic goals), the agency could use the Jobs Program Specialist - Diversity Management list. However, the second position that does not require knowledge/experience in EEO principles could still be filled utilizing the Jobs Program Specialist base list.
Once a base list or a Diversity Management list is utilized to fill a position, agencies are bound to that list for that position only, for one year. If the Diversity Management list is exhausted, the agency may request approval from their Staffing Services Representative to use the PCO base list or the Public Administration Traineeship Transition (PATT) list. Transfer candidates may be considered for appointment to Diversity Management positions but transferees must meet the Diversity Management qualifications described above.
PCO List Numbers
|List Number||List Name|
|26240||PCO - Generalist Job Titles (Generalist)|
|40000||PCO - Generalist – Diversity|
|40001||PCO - Generalist - Chinese Language|
|40002||PCO - Generalist - Chinese Language - Diversity|
|40003||PCO - Generalist - Creole Language|
|40004||PCO - Generalist - Creole Language - Diversity|
|40005||PCO - Generalist - Farsi Language|
|40006||PCO - Generalist - Farsi Language - Diversity|
|40007||PCO - Generalist - French Language|
|40008||PCO - Generalist - French Language - Diversity|
|40009||PCO - Generalist - Italian Language|
|40010||PCO - Generalist - Italian Language - Diversity|
|40011||PCO - Generalist - Korean Language|
|40012||PCO - Generalist - Korean Language - Diversity|
|40013||PCO - Generalist - Manual Communication|
|40014||PCO - Generalist - Manual Communication - Diversity|
|40015||PCO - Generalist - Polish Language|
|40016||PCO - Generalist - Polish Language - Diversity|
|40017||PCO - Generalist - Russian Language|
|40018||PCO - Generalist - Russian Language - Diversity|
|40019||PCO - Generalist - Spanish Language|
|40020||PCO - Generalist - Spanish Language - Diversity|
|50000||PCO - Select Titles|
If additional information is needed, please contact the PCO Unit at: PCO@cs.ny.gov or by phone at (518) 473-5151.