Open to all qualified employees of the New York State Office of Mental Health.
Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee
- Applications Accepted
- Tests To Be Held
|Exam Number||Exam Title||Salary Grade||Beginning Salary|
|10-028||Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee||Equated to G-7||$32,972|
|10-029||Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee(Chinese Language)||Equated to G-7||$32,972|
|10-030||Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee (Korean Language)||Equated to G-7||$32,972|
|10-031||Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee (Manual Communication)||Equated to G-7||$32,972|
|10-032||Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee (Russian Language)||Equated to G-7||$32,972|
|10-033||Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee (Spanish Language)||Equated to G-7||$32,972|
NO APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE REQUIRED
Open to all qualified employees of the New York State Office of Mental Health.
On or before the date of filing your application, you must be a qualified employee of the New York State Office of Mental Health and have had one year permanent competitive, non-competitive, labor, or 55-b/55-c service in a position allocated to Grade 3 or higher AND you must have a High School Diploma, High School Equivalency Diploma,or similar equivalency such as a General Education Development Certification or higher degree.
- Your high school diploma, or equivalency diploma must have been awarded by a high school or educational institution accredited by a regional, national, or specialized agency recognized as an accrediting agency by the U.S. Department of Education/U.S. Secretary of Education. If your high school diploma was awarded by an educational institution outside the United States and its territories, you must provide independent verification of equivalency. You can write to the Examination Information Desk of the NYS Department of Civil Service for a list of acceptable companies who provide this service. This information can also be found on the Internet at http://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/degrees.cfm. You must pay the required evaluation fee. You will be required to provide this information at the time of interview. Failure to produce this documentation will result in your disqualification and removal from the list.
- In accordance with Section 52.11 of the Civil Service Law, individuals serving permanently in the non-competitive or labor class in a qualifying title (including those serving under Section 55b/c) who otherwise meet the requirements for taking this examination are eligible to compete in this promotion examination.
- This examination is also being held open-to-the-public. If you meet the minimum qualifications, an application will automatically be submitted for you.
- Drug Testing: Prior to appointment, you will be required to participate in a drug-screening test. Failure to meet the standards may result in your disqualification.
- Physical/Medical Requirements: Your physical and medical condition will be evaluated to ensure that you are able to satisfactorily perform the duties of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. A complete statement of the physical and medical standards is available at: http://www.cs.ny.gov/ehs/forms.cfm. A medical examination will be required prior to appointment. Appointees to this position may be required to undergo periodic medical examinations to reassess their ability to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Communication Proficiency: If you pass the examination for No. 10-029 Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee (Chinese Language), No. 10-030 Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee (Korean Language), No. 10-031 Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee (Manual Communication), No. 10-032 Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee (Russian Language), or No. 10-033 Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee (Spanish Language), you will be required to demonstrate your communication proficiency at a level that will ensure your ability to perform properly the duties of the position. Only enough candidates to fill current vacancies will be called to the proficiency test.
- A New York State Driver's License May Be Required: Depending on your assignment, you may be required to possess a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in New York State at the time of appointment and continuously thereafter.
Background Investigation/Justice Center Review: The names of all prospective employees will be:
- Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s);
- Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC). All convictions must be reported. Conviction of a felony or misdemeanor or any falsified or omitted information may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of state and federal laws;
and may be:
- Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees whose names appear on the SCR may be barred from appointment. (NY Social Services Law, Section 424a.)
You will be responsible for payment of all required fees.
- Medicaid and Medicare: In order to be eligible for appointment and to maintain employment, you cannot be listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of the Federal and/or State Medicaid and Medicare exclusion lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program). If you are appointed and subsequently listed as an excluded individual or entity on any of these lists (or excluded from any other Federal or Federally assisted program), you may be terminated from your employment.
- If you submit an application for examination Nos. 10-029 Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee (Chinese Language), 10-030 Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee (Korean Language), 10-031 Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee (Manual Communication), 10-032 Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee (Russian Language), or 10-033 Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee (Spanish Language), an application will automatically be submitted for you for examination No. 10-028 Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee.
As a Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee, you would provide direct services, treatment, rehabilitation, and support to individuals diagnosed with mental illness that receive services in an institutional or community-based setting. You would help individuals to participate in games and recreational programs; coach and encourage individuals to develop daily living skills; and provide a clean, safe, and comfortable environment. You would work with other staff to develop, carry out, and record care plans, and in accordance with special instructions you may administer medication. This position may be physically demanding. You would need to be prepared to act to ensure the health and safety of patients and staff in emergency situations. You must be able to do things such as bend, stretch, and stand for long periods of time.
Traineeship: As a Mental Health Therapy Aide Trainee, you will be required to participate in and satisfactorily complete all requirements of a 12-month traineeship program before you can advance to a Mental Health Therapy Aide. Upon initial appointment, an appointee���s performance in the trainee position and in prescribed training and development programs will be observed and evaluated. The prescribed training and development program will include extensive on-the-job training and carefully designed and monitored work experience. An appointee not meeting required standards can be terminated at any time after the initial four weeks and before completion of the traineeship. Upon successful completion of the traineeship probationary period, trainees will be advanced to Mental Health Therapy Aide (SG-9).
Initial training will be on the day shift; in order to be included in canvasses for these positions please ensure your shift preference includes day shift. However, you should be aware that at the conclusion of your initial training period the permanent assignment for your position may be to any shift and is likely to be for the evening or night shift with weekend hours required. A candidate must be able to work any shift.
Subject of Examination
There will be no written test. If you meet the Minimum Qualifications your education and experience will be evaluated against the general background/critical activities of the position. The examination requires completion of an online application - see how to apply. https://www.omh.ny.gov/omhweb/employment/mhta.html
Your answers to the application will be the only basis for your score. Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of a completed application. Do Not Send a Resume.
It is essential that you read, answer, and describe your education and experience as completely as possible on he online application form. Ambiguity, vagueness, or omissions will not be decided in your favor. Failure to complete the application correctly may result in disqualification. If disqualified, candidates must wait 12 months to re-apply.
The information you provide on the application is subject to verification. You may be required to furnish written verification of the education, experience, certification, or licensure claimed. False statements may result in removal from the eligible list or termination of employment.
Your final score must be 70 or higher in order to pass. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime veterans and Civil Service Law Section 85-a credits to your final score.
If you pass, your seniority credit(s), if any, will be included in the computation of your final score. Rank on the eligible list will be determined after adding any wartime Veterans' credits to your final passing score.
Credit for Seniority
Seniority is credited at the rate of one credit for each five year period (or fraction thereof)excluding the first year of service.
How to Apply
Special online application instructions for this examination are available at: https://www.omh.ny.gov/omhweb/employment/mhta.html
The NYS Office of Mental Health has an ongoing need for persons qualified for appointment to these positions and will accept applications at any time and will rate applications whenever additional eligibles are needed. It is anticipated that the examinations will be held on a periodic basis throughout the year. For information about this exam contact the following:
NYS Office of Mental Health, Decentralized Examination Unit
44 Holland Avenue, Albany NY 12229
RETEST POLICY: Qualified candidates may retest as frequently as once per year, but a new online application is required each time. Apply at: www.omh.ny.gov/omhweb/employement/mhta.html.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the State of New York to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest and/or criminal conviction record, or any other category protected by law, unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
Appointment to many positions in State government require candidates to undergo an investigative screening. This may include a thorough character investigation, a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Record History Check, a Child Abuse Registry clearance, or other similar procedures. Candidates may be fingerprinted and may be required to pay any necessary fees for that procedure. Depending on the nature of the job, the criminal convictions discovered, or any falsified or omitted information revealed, the investigative findings may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment.
Eligibility for Employment
You must be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of appointment and throughout your employment with New York State. If appointed, you must produce documents that establish your identity and eligibility to work in the United States, as required by the federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, and the Immigration and Nationality Act.
Reasonable Accommodations in Testing
It is the policy of the Department of Civil Service, in accordance with the New York State Human Rights Law and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to provide qualified persons with disabilities equal employment opportunity and equal opportunity to participate in and receive the benefits, services, programs, and activities of the Department. It is the policy of the Department to provide such persons reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications as are necessary to provide equal opportunity. Persons with disabilities who require an accommodation to participate in an examination must note this on their application. Further information is available from the Test Administration Unit of the Department of Civil Service. In the Albany area, call 518-457-2487. Outside of the Albany area, call toll free at 1-877-697-5627. For TDD services, call NY Relay at 711 (requires a fee) or 1-800-662-1220.
Individuals who apply to take an in-person Civil Service examination and who wish to request an exemption to the Department's COVID-19 vaccination/testing policy due to a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance, must check the box on the application under "Other Accommodations" and will be required to provide appropriate documentation. Candidates granted an exemption will be offered the opportunity to take the examination via Remote Proctoring - a secure, web-based test delivery method that uses professional test proctors and technology to monitor applicants using a web camera as they complete an examination.
New York State Residence Is Not Required For Most Positions
However, you must be eligible for employment in the United States.
Continuous Recruitment/Eligible Lists
Candidates who meet the qualifications and pass this examination will have their names placed on the eligible list in the order of final scores, regardless of the date on which they filed or took the test. Generally, the names of qualified candidates will remain on the eligible list for two years. Appeal of ratings will not be allowed as the opportunity for retest exists. The Department of Civil Service reserves the right to terminate this special recruitment program.
This announcement is subject to amendment or cancellation without notice. Do not copy it, or post it to any other site, but link to it instead.