Test Guides and Resource Booklets for Local Examinations
Test Guides published by the New York State Department of Civil Service are usually targeted to specific, entry-level titles. Test Guides are not provided for every examination. If a Test Guide is provided for an examination, information about the guide will appear on the examination announcement. Test Guides are designed to familiarize candidates with the format of the test. Test Guides provide a description of the subject areas that will be tested and present samples of the types of test material that will appear on the test. The sample test material is similar to what the candidates will see on the actual test. If sample questions are provided, the solution and correct answer will be provided after each sample question. Candidates should pay close attention to the "Subjects of Examination" listed on the examination announcement for information on the test type and content of the examination. Candidates should focus their examination preparation upon the information given in the examination announcement.
- Account/Audit Clerical Series(263KB)
- Caseworker Series(271KB)
- Clerical/Steno/Typist Series, Entry-Level(274KB)
- Correction Officer Series, Entry-Level(333KB)
- Correctional Supervisor Series, First-Line(265KB)
- Custodians and Janitors Series, Entry-Level(229KB)
- Custodians and Janitors Series, High-Level(253KB)
- Director of Facilities Series(918KB)
- Fire Chief/Assistant Fire Chief Series(398KB)
- Firefighter Series(305KB)
- Higher Level Account Clerical Series(423KB)
- Investigator Series(297KB)
- Local Civil Deputy Series(312KB)
- Local Court Security Series(351KB)
- Police Chief/Assistant Police Chief Series(319KB)
- Police Officer, Entry-Level(558KB)
- Police Officer/Deputy Sheriff Exam - Frequently Asked Questions
- Police Supervisors/Investigators Series(323KB)
- Second- and Third-Line Police Supervisors Series(299KB)
- Probation Officer, Entry Level and Trainee(243KB)
- Public Health Technician Series(84KB)
- Safety and Security Series(437KB)
- Senior Stenographer/Senior Typist Series(347KB)
- Social Welfare Examiner Series(289KB)
- State and Local Identification Series(275KB)
- Toll Collector Series(3.65MB)
- Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator/Trainee Series(224KB)
Note: Test Guides are made available to the public on this web page 60 days prior to the date of the written test. If an examination announcement references this page and the test guide you are looking for is not yet listed, please check again within two months of the date of the written examination.
Information contained herein is provided for informational and convenience purposes only. The Department of Civil Service makes no warranties, guarantees, or representations of any kind as to the information contained in this web-site.
Hard copies of test guides are available by contacting the appropriate Municipal Civil Service Agency.