Test Guides and Resource Booklets for State Examinations
Test Guides published by the New York State Department of Civil Service are usually targeted to specific, entry-level titles. Test Guides are not provided for every examination. If a Test Guide is provided for an examination, information about the guide will appear on the examination announcement. Test Guides are designed to familiarize candidates with the format of the test. Test Guides provide a description of the subject areas that will be tested and present samples of the types of test material that will appear on the test. The sample test material is similar to what the candidates will see on the actual test. If sample questions are provided, the solution and correct answer will be provided after each sample question. Candidates should pay close attention to the "Subjects of Examination" listed on the examination announcement for information on the test type and content of the examination. Candidates should focus their examination preparation upon the information given in the examination announcement.
- Correction Officer Series, Entry-Level(337KB)
- Custodians and Janitors Series, High-Level(253KB)
- Investigator Series(297KB)
- Legal Assistant 1 and 2 Series(290KB)
- Motor Vehicle Representative Series(414KB)
- Parole Officer, Entry Level and Trainee(243KB)
- Police Officer, Entry-Level(558KB)
- Police Supervisors/Investigators Series(323KB)
- Second- and Third-Line Police Supervisors Series(299KB)
- Professional Career Opportunities (PCO)(296KB)
- Supervising Labor Services Representative Series(240KB)
Where noted on the examination announcements, A General Guide to Written Tests(82KB) is being provided.
Information contained herein is provided for informational and convenience purposes only. The Department of Civil Service makes no warranties, guarantees, or representations of any kind as to the information contained in this web-site.